Friday 28 May 2010

To the end...

Foolishly as my phone wasn't sending emails I didn't bother writing anything else up.  As it's now decided to co-operate I'm writing this from memory, those of you who know me, will know this isn't a very good idea.

Anyway, the night at Tarfside was great, a real unexpected treat, the bar was basic and very welcoming and packed with challengers all of whom seem to be having a wonderful time.  It felt late when I left (gone 10pm!) and the moon was out but the sun was still pushing a little bit of light over the horizon.

Awoke with a slightly thick head due to the exceptionally low price of malt whiskey the previous evening.  This was cured in the traditional way with a full cooked breakfast at the retreat and also to pick up my last food parcel.  Again it was really lovely sunny day and a leisurely stroll down the river took me into Edzall for a pub lunch.  The good work of the previous week was rapidly being undone.

Then it was the long straight road into North Water Bridge, whatever you've read about it, it's true.  It's not a hard walk, it's not dangerous, it's just tedious and very very straight.  On first appearances the camp site looked basic but it was one of the best and the cheapest of the trip.  Full of challengers all having a look at each others tents and shelters.  Henry Shires was answering questions about the Scarp 1 and his prototype Moment and a good night was had by all.

The next day was the bimble to the coast, I set off by 8am and was at the coast by lunch time and finished the walk with Henry and Mike.  We all took loads of photos of each other, which I'll add when I get home.  We where then joined by Carl who was delighted to finish after three years ago being practically unable to walk due to an ankle problem which had been fixed by a very good surgeon.

It's always nice to finish a trail, but this one was something special.  I was unsure about the challenge before starting, but as time went on you start to meet so many people and make genuine friendships which hopefully will go on into further challenges and beyond.  I was genuinely delighted to have finished and finished with friends too, I'd recommend the experience to everyone.

4 comments:

Martin Rye said...

Good effort and next time take a summit in or two.

Shed Dweller said...

There's going to be summits next time. With the low level route and the cracking weather it wasn't a challenge as such, it was great fun though and a cracking holiday.

selfpowered said...

nice read, thanks - hope to do this one of these years

Shed Dweller said...

Thanks David. I think you've missed this years entry, unless you've already applied. I was a bit apprehensive about it to begin with, but it was probably the most enjoyable and laugh filled walk I've ever done. Do it!