Wednesday 2 June 2010

New fabric

Being a bit of a sewist, fabric is quite important, more so getting hold of some decent stuff without breaking the bank. Light weight sil-nylon is expensive and not immediately available. Over the last year I've been using a company called fabrics and stuff. Their descriptions can be pretty vauge but they buy in roll ends of all sorts of exotic stuff.

All the stuff I've had from them has been top quality. It's a bit of a lucky dip sometimes but they've always come up trumps. And it would seem that I have again with this

http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=840&osCsid=bqt0tnak0h6cddfksalo493283

It's a fabric used to make paragliders. Having done a little research before buying, it seems that the company make a number of different grades, one of which is described as water resistant. This matched the rough weight estimate given on the fabrics and stuff website so I took the plunge.

After doing the glass full of water test for two hours I can report there was zero seepage through the materiel. It's funny stuff a cross between spinnaker and sil-nylon, more like sil-nylon though as its not stiff,  and just a little crackly. No real stretch along the warp or weft and slightly less stretch on the bias than 50g square metre sil-nylon. This is not scientifically verified you understand just me tugging at it.

I can feel a making moment coming on...

4 comments:

PhilT said...

Oh, now that IS sexy.... You going to make what I think you're going to make?

You really have to meet Colin - he can warp and weft for hours!

Shed Dweller said...

Oh yes, I've already cut one panel which comes out at 78g. Hopefully the whole thing will be around the 450g mark.

I've reduced the diameter to 3m which I reckon is still big enough, again this was not worked out scientfically but with bits of string and having a lie down on the floor.

For others reading this my new project will soon be revealed...

Steven Horner said...

This is all very secretive, is this what we talked about you trying to make or another project?

Shed Dweller said...

Hello Steven, this is what we talked about, it's a mini trail star which I've now posted about. The small size may make it a bit of a squeeze, but you never know until you try. It'll probably take a couple of weeks what with it being sunny. Sunny is not good sewing time, we need rain and cold.